The field of 55 who tackled the Intersport De Grandi Half Marathon handicap at Barwon Valley Park on Sunday faced windy conditions which made for hard going on the westward sections of the course.
This favoured the stronger backmarkers so it was no surprise to see Stephane Vander Bruggen and Dan Wright who was going for a threepeat, engage in a stirring battle. It was Vander Bruggen who triumphed by 70 metres from the gallant Wright. Vander Bruggen is the head coach of the Geelong Performance Coaching squad and this was his eighth club win.
Louise Brennan and Edward James were the fastest of their gender. Twenty-seven runners took the easier option of the consolation 5 km event. Geoff Marshall was congratulated on reaching his 300 run milestone.
Top 10 Placings
S. Vander Bruggen 82.23, D. Wright 82.10, T. De Koning-Ward 113.04, E. James 79.52, H. Mack 88.20, S. Curtain 90.28, P. Posterino 80.53, P. Fuller 103.04, M. Morton 91.48, J. Austin 119.57.
- Under 40 Male: E. James 79.52, P.Posterino 80.53.
- Under 40 Female: M. Crawford 102.08, K. Bahari 110.19.
- Veteran Male: M.Clayton 81.01, D. Wright 82.10.
- Veteran Female: L. Brennan 100.44, K. Wright 119.50.
- Masters Male: M. Maiden 96.56, S. Pretty 105.13.
- Masters Female: T. De Koning-Ward 113.04, C. Crawford 119.13
- Legends Male: D. Churkovich 104.42, J. Morton 107.27.
- Legends Female: J. Austin 119.57.
- Supervets Male: P. Fuller 103.04,F. Engelsman 129.10..
- Magic Money: P. Fuller 103.04.
- Consolation 5 km: S. Borwick 22.39.
Next Sunday’s race is the Eliminator event with races of 4 km and 3 km starting at the Canoe Club at 9:00 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:30 a.m.