Fortunately, the predicted heavy rain stayed away till the post race presentations which was a blessing for the 78 starters in the Active Feet 10 km Sealed Handicap at Barwon Valley Park on Sunday. The strong wind made it tough going in some of the exposed areas.
Pat Hagan held off invite Damien Turner to score by 10 metres with another invite Jarron Cole well back in third. Kate Bramley was over seven minutes ahead of the second female, Madeline Crawford.
When handicappers Dan, Jo and Michael applied the hidden handicaps, life member Fred Barnett won the Frontmarkers, her first win since 2010. As is often the case, recent winners and placegetters do well in the Sealed Series races because they do not carry penalties into the series. So it was no surprise to see in form runners, Luke Considine and Damian Woodberry win the Backmarkers and Middlemarkers sections respectively. Colin Rose who returned to the club after a five year absence won the New and Returning division.
Frontmarkers: F. Barnett 66.33, Middlemarkers: D. Woodberry 49.08, Backmarkers: L. Considine 36.44, New and Returning Runners: C. Rose 41.17.
- Under 40 Male: P.Hagan 34.15, J. Cole 35.39.
- Under 40 Female: K. Bramley 37.09, M. Crawford 44.24.
- Veteran Male: D. Turner 34.17, L. Considine 36.44.
- Veteran Female: L. Brennan 45.16, A. Muscroft 45.26.
- Masters Male: J. Foran 43.31, G Wrest 46.16.
- Masters Female: S. Andrews 46.34, N. Angus 55.05.
- Legends Male : A. Findlay 41.19, K. Walker 41.37.
- Legends Female: P. Galvin 50.36, J. Austin 55.56.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 41.18, P. Fuller 48.20.
- Supervets Female: F. Barnett 66.33, C.Bridgland 68.03.
Next Sunday’s race is the 12.6 km handicap at the Wurdibuloc Reservoir at 9:00 a.m. There is also a 5 km event. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:30 a.m.