An ideal morning for racing greeted the field of 65 that turned out for the running of the East Geelong Discount Drug Store 8 km handicap at Inverleigh yesterday. The testing hilly course that was designed by race sponsor, Phil Shay, usually favours backmarkers and this season was no exception.
Luke Considine surged to the lead with a kilometre to go and won by 150 metres from Andrew Thompson with Ken Walker third. Considine who had been in the placings recently, joined the club in 2019 and it was his 29th club race.
Kate Bramley was again the fastest female by a huge margin while first season runner, Hugh Fleet, was the fastest male by one second over Ed Kelly with Paul Posterino a further second back.
Top 10 Placings
L. Considine 31.15, A. Thompson 33.56, K. Walker 34.47, R. Solly 36.54, S. Howell 37.29, L. Pye 41.37, B. Ellis 36.09, L. Haines 31.21, E. Kelly 31.07,J. Walker 43.54.
- Under 40 Male: H. Fleet 31.06, P. Posterino 31.08.
- Under 40 Female: K. Bramley 32.06, M. Crawford 39.16.
- Veteran Male: E. Kelly 31.07, L. Considine 31.15.
- Veteran Female: L. Solly 43.23, K. Gilbert 43.45.
- Masters Male: A. Ward 34.57, R. Solly 36.54.
- Masters Female: T. De Koning-Ward 44.40, C. Crawford 45.19.
- Legends Male: K. Walker 34.47, A. Finlay 40.15.
- Legends Female: S. Howell 37.29, P. Galvin 42.52.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 35.17, P. Fuller 40.58.
- Supervets Female: C. Stephens 45.58, F. Barnett 57.15.
- Magic Money: G. Wrest 38.32.
Next Sunday’s race is a 7 km handicap race starting at the Drysdale Recreation Reserve at 9:00 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:30 a.m.