A field of 49 assembled for the time honoured Newgrove Benchtops Eliminator at Balyang Sanctuary. All entrants had to complete both the 4 km and 3 km events with the best performed twenty qualifying for the 2 km final.
It was Michael Orelli who defied the backmarkers to run him down to win by fifty metres with Pam Tindal leading the chasing pack. For Orelli, a short course specialist, it was his fourth win in the race, having also been successful in 2000, 2007 and 2015.
Rob Solly was acclaimed for reaching his 100th run milestone. The next club event is the Dawn Buster at the Carousel at 7 a.m. on New Year’s Eve.
Top 10 Placings
M. Orelli 10:56, P. Tindal 9:27, M. Morton 7:30, S. Thompson 8:03, S. Curtain 7:45, K. McNulty 8:03, M. Fox 6:25, H. Peart 10:18, N. Madden 8:14, R. Peart 7:14.
- Open Champions: R. Thompson and L. Drady
- Marathon Champion: V. Gasper
- Age Champions
- Under 40: R. Thompson and L. Drady
- Veterans: S. Andrews and E. Kelly
- Masters: R. Kimpton and A. Ward
- Legends: P. Tindal and K. Walker
- SuperVets: D. Elward
- Rory Wilson Age Graded 10 km: D. Elward
- Best Clubperson: J. Walker
- Sealed Series
- Frontmarkers: F. Fitzpatrick
- Middlemarkers: B. Ellis
- Backmarkers: T. Davis
- New and Returning Runners: E. Kelly
- Most Improved: F. Fitzpatrick and B. Ellis
- Most Impressive: D. Elward
- Best First Year Runner: E. Kelly