One of the largest fields of the season turned out for the running of the Happy Runner 10 km Surfcoast Classic at Torquay on Sunday morning in some of the best running conditions ever encountered by the club at that venue.
It was Stuart Pretty who backed up his recent win in a sealed series event by hanging on to win by 50 metres from Vin Gasper who had won the previous running of this race in 2019. Paul Posterino who has recovered from serious injury was 150 metres away in third place.
In the battle for fastest, reigning club champion Rachael Thompson was the first female. In the male section, Pat Hagan, in his second club race, took out his first fastest time with first time runner, Hamish Wishart next. Max Wright who joined the club in 1982 was recognised for reaching his 200 club run milestone.
Top 10 Placings
S. Pretty 48.20, V. Gasper 45.55, P. Posterino 39.59, L. Considine 40.32, L. Haines 38.58, N. Muscroft 41.20, E. Kelly 38.18, R. Ryan 56.32, K. Walker 44.06, D. Elward 44.40.
- Under 40 Male: P. Hagan 36.30, H. Wishart 37.20.
- Under 40 Female: R. Thompson 45.53, A. Key 47.02.
- Veteran Male: E. Kelly 38.18, L. Haines 38.58.
- Veteran Female: S. Andrews 48.58, L. Brennan 51.29.
- Masters Male: A. Ward 43.27, G. Wrest 48.02.
- Masters Female: R. Kimpton 46.34,N. Angus 54.14.
- Legends Male: K. Walker 44.06, D. Churkovich 50.12.
- Legends Female: P. Galvin 53.22, P. Tindall 53.54.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 44.40, V. Gasper 45.55.
- Magic Money: L.Haines 38.58
Next Sunday’s race is an 8km handicap race starting at the Peter McCann Memorial Gardens, Fyansford Melway Ref 451 A2 at 9:00 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:30 am.