The fog was still evident as the 108 starters in the Active Feet 10 km sealed handicap set off on Sunday morning. After a loop of Barwon Valley Park, the field headed along the Barwon River path. With only a light breeze and a flat course the pace was well and truly on.
It was invitation runner, Ryan Baker, who held off Pat Hagan, in his second run with the club, to win by ten metres. In the females, former club champion Kate Bramley was first by a huge margin from Jane White, also having her second club start.
When handicappers Dan, Jo and Michael applied the hidden handicaps, Estelle Davis won the Newcomers division. Her husband Tim won his second sealed handicap in the Backmamarkers. Jocelyn Hepburn also won her first sash in the Frontmarkers and Stuart Pretty, benefiting from speed work at Geelong Masters on Wednesday nights, notched up his sixth club win by taking out the Middlemarkers division.
Frontmarkers: J. Hepburn 56.55, Middlemarkers: S. Pretty 45.46, Backmarkers: T. Davis 41.09, New and Returning Runners: E. Davis 50.11.
- Under 20 Female: G. Synott 49.24.
- Under 40 Male: R. Baker 33.26, P. Hagan 33.28.
- Under 40 Female: K. Bramley 37.03,R.Thompson 42.31.
- Veteran Male: D. Turner 33.48, D. Burns 35.51.
- Veteran Female: J. White39.57, S. Pedersen 43.28.
- Masters Male: M. Clayton 40.48, M. Maiden 41.00.
- Masters Female: R. Kimpton 43.34, T. De Koning-Ward 50.43.
- Legends Male : A. Finlay 39.50, K. Walker 41.05.
- Legends Female: P. Tindall 50.14, J. Elkin 71.32.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 41.25, V. Gasper 43.54.
- Supervets Female: F. Barnett 68.38.
The next race is hopefully the Beyond – Ocean Grove Riverside 8km on July 25 at 9:00 a.m. Registrations need to be submitted to by 8:30 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome.