A cool, strengthening, westerly wind tested the competitors in the Goodlife Health Clubs12 km relay around Barwon Valley Park. The handicappers with the help of the computer assembled the 51 entrants into seventeen teams of similar standing.
Beginning the final leg, Marcus Gniel from Team 5 had the lead but the pack began closing. Patrick Oughtred from Team 7 took the lead with a kilometre remaining and held on from the fast finishing Dan Wright of Team 13. The margin was only 15 metres on the line. Each member of the winning team had been successful in previous editions of the event – Ken Walker in 1984, Oughtred in 2017 and Michael Orelli in 2019.
Invitation runner Jane White was the fastest female while first year member, Liam Drady narrowly beat another new member, Ed Kelly for the fastest male.
Excitement continues to build as the club’s 50th Year Celebration on June 25th approaches. Reserve your seat at this link or contact Jeff on 5229 4304.
Top 3 Results
1st K. Walker, P. Oughtred, M. Orelli 57.23. 2nd D. Wright, S. Thompson, M. Morton 48.22. 3rd J. Peart, R. Solly, B. Davis 58.28.
- Under 20 Male: J. Peart 16.55.
- Under 40 Male: A. Drady 14.36, M. Minney 15.25.
- Under 40 Female: K. Gilbert 20.27, E. Davis 20.43.
- Veteran Male: E. Kelly 14.41, D. Wright 15.13
- Veteran Female: J. White 16.11, S. Pedersen 17.18
- Masters Male: S. Pretty 18.46, G. Anset 19.55.
- Masters Female: R. Kimpton 17.47, F. Fitzpatricck 23.56.
- Legends Male : K. Walker 16.51, K. McNulty 16.53.
- Legends Female: J. Elkin 25.59.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 17.30, J. Walker 20.44.
Next Sunday’s event is a 8 000 metre handicap at Inverleigh at 9:00 a.m. Registrations need to be submitted by 8:40 a.m.. New members and invitation runners most welcome. More information is available here.