After a season of virtual races in 2020, 89 enthusiastic runners including many newcomers, gathered in perfect conditions for the running of the Steigen 5 km handicap. The massed start saw a ferocious pace from the outset and it was the newcomers putting the rest of the field to the sword.
Veteran Damien Turner triumphed by 100 metres from Liam Drady with Ed Kelly making it a trifecta for the new members. In the female season, another first year member, Hayley Waterson won by half a kilometre from Sky Katz and Sharon Pedersen. When the handicappers applied the sealed handicaps, it was Fiona Fitzpatrick who scored her first win and collected the sash from the sponsors Steigen. Fitzpatrick has been training hard, including track races on Wednesday nights with Masters Athletics, to achieve the necessary improvement.
Top 10 Placings
F. Fitzpatrick 29:17, F. Gilks-De Araugo 25:02, V. Gasper 21:36, N. Muscroft 18:31, S. Thompson 20:54, G. Baensch 27:02, D. Churchovich 22:55, M. Morton 19:42, M. Maiden 21:04, L. Pye 24:17.
- Under 20 Male: J. Peart 20.20
- Under 40 Male: L. Drady 17.48, J. Tenne 18.28
- Under 40 Female: H. Waterson 19.06, R. Thompson 22.00
- Veteran Male: D. Turner 17.25, E. Kelly 18.05
- Veteran Female: S. Pedersen 21.26, L. Solly 24.19
- Masters Male: A. Ward 19.35, M. Maiden 21.04
- Masters Female: S. Howell 22.07, T. De Koning-Ward 24.46
- Legends Male: K. Walker 20.25, K. McNulty 20.50
- Legends Female: P. Tindal 24.21, P. Galvin 24.34
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 20.58, V. Gasper 21.36
- Supervets Female: D. Elson 31.44, C.Bridgland 32.31
Next Sunday there isn’t a race due to Anzac Day but racing resumes on Sunday, 2nd May with a 6.5 km at Belmont Park, Melway Ref 451 K8 at 9:00 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:40. More information please visit the Races page.